Wednesday, June 3, 2020

A Hard Truth: Justice, Equality and Fairness

All three should be a given for all humanity, but they are not.  People of color have been in a painful struggle against racism for ages.  I have shopped with it, worked with it, dined with it.  I’ve even sat in church with it...it's everywhere.  Some folk are audacious enough to blatantly demonstrate their bigotry.  Others are not, but we still pick up on its presence in the smirks, slights, innuendos, exchanged looks, twisted interpretation of scripture, etc.  Yes, we see it all.  What’s happening now is the struggle has reached the point of ENOUGH...again.  

When I see people of color being mistreated and brutalized, the pain cuts deep and my thoughts are that’s somebody’s baby and could very well have been my son, my grand baby, my brother, other relatives or even…me. 

Anyone—and I don’t care who you are—who chooses to ignore this kind of wrongdoing, approve of it, or make excuses for it is complicit and is a part of the problem.

Lawful and peaceful protest is one effective method folk can utilize in the fight for justice, equality, and fairness.  We have an additional powerful method.  Our black ancestors protested, marched, and even died for it because they understood its collective power.  What am I talking about?  Your right to vote.  If you haven’t been voting, start.  Use your vote to change the political landscape of this nation that has embraced and normalized racism and allowed bigotry to flourish unchecked.

Protesters, please be wise and watchful for everybody walking with you is not for you.   Some are there to neutralize you and your voice by any means necessary, including the devices of rioting, vandalism, and looting.  Consider this:  If you are sitting in a jail cell in November, that’s a guarantee of one less vote.  Look out for each other.  Keep the cameras rolling to document what’s happening around you so you can continue to prove instances of brutality and your innocence of criminal behavior.  It is making a difference.

I hope you will join me in praying for calm and protection for the peaceful protesters across this nation as they cry ENOUGH and ask for justice, equality, and fairness for ALL.


No comments:

Post a Comment