Monday, June 25, 2007

Blog Spotlight - Sherri Lewis



* Describe yourself - what do you want people to know about you.
I am a creative soul, and love to create anything that expresses the heart of God. In addition to novels and short stories, I write praise and worship music, and have choreographed dance pieces for church ministries. Next to God, music is my greatest love - especially live music. I enjoy contemporary and neo-Soul music, and LOVE jazz. Especially when I'm writing. Music spurs my creative muse. I love to sing also. I currently work as a physician in a women's prison in Georgia and it has truly been a life changing experience. I look forward to sharing some of the stories from this experience in future novels.

* How do you find time to connect with God?
I MAKE time to connect with God. I'm no good without Him - insane actually. Me and God are an all day thing - I talk to Him from the moment I wake up until I fall asleep at night. I'm just an addict for His presence.

* Tell us about your journey to publication. Seems like it took forever.
My first novel was actually finished in 2001 and the second in 2003. I submitted everywhere I knew to submit and got rejection after rejection. Each time I got rejected, I read craft books and re-edited and re-edited. I think I've read both books at least 100 times. I had gotten discouraged and had pretty much decided to move on to something else when I found out about Urban Christian. In retrospect, I know it was the perfect timing of God. My life was in a turmoil at the time both books were completed and I wouldn't have been able to promote and market them. Now life is great and I can really focus on my career as a writer.

* Tell us about your debut novel.
My Soul Cries Out is the story of a woman who comes home to find her husband, the minister of music at their church, in bed with another man. It is a compassionate look at Christians struggling with the spirit of homosexuality. I pray that it stirs up conversation about an issue that's only whispered and gossipped about in the church. The church needs to be on the front line - offering God's love and compassion for Christians and the unsaved battling the spirit of homosexuality. Unfortunately, the church's approach has been either head in the sand or judgement and condemnation over and above other sins. I hope this book provokes dialogue and solutions in the body of Christ.

* How did you come up with ideas for your current release?
I actually write for therapy, so it started out as me dealing with the pain of a failing marriage and divorce. I need a compelling reason to cause the characters to get divorced, so I dreamed up the idea of him cheating with a man. In the process though, I thought of many dear Christian friends of mine who had struggled with the spirit of homosexuality and decided to highlight their pain as well. I pray that the outcome of the book is in line with the heart of God and I pray that it truly ministers to people who have dealt with the homosexual lifestyle. I have to say though, because it's been asked SOOOOO many times - no, I didn't catch my ex-husband with another man. Even though some of the quirks and habits of every character I write are mine (their obsession with coffee shops, some of their expressions, the thread of worship and intimacy in everything I write), this is truly a work of fiction.

* What's next for you?
My second novel, Dance Into Destiny is due for release in 2008. I've got another novel in the works, but after re-editing Dance, the characters are asking for a sequel. I also want to do a series about a Christian doctor working in a prison. I'd love for people to understand the lives and stories of the women I work with everyday. I also want to write Christian non-fiction one day. I love to teach on worship and intimacy with God, and also the present day reality of the Kingdom of God in the earth.

* Where can visitors find you online?
http://www.sherrilewis.com/ and www.myspace.com/sherrilewis

No comments:

Post a Comment